Autumn/Winter season is coming. It is time to move away from the fruits and vegetables from the Summer Season and start eating more warming foods and nourishing soups. A good way to warm the body and make bones strong is cooking bone broth. The recipe uses green onion and ginger which are warming. Beef bones, especially knee joints are best to make nourishing soups as they contain lots of calcium that can be easily absorbed by the body. Usually when making soup, bones are pre-boiled. In this recipe, the bones are baked in the oven to preserve the precious bone marrow so it is not wasted.
- Beef bones 2 pounds (knee joints best but neck bones will work also)
- Green onion 3 long pieces
- Ginger 1 large piece peeled
- Bake bones on tray in oven at 450 degrees for 30 minutes
- Add enough water to cover all ingredients in large pot
- Bring all ingredients in large pot to boil on high heat, then simmer on low heat for 2.5 hours
- After soup cools to room temperate, refrigerate until the next day
- Remove all the fat from top layer
- Add small amount of salt as needed for taste
Soup can be made in batches and frozen. Soup can be used for drinking or used as a soup base to make noodles and vegetable dishes. Drink often for best effects.
Article provided by Cecilia Wong Leung, L.Ac., Licensed Acupuncturist at Chinese Hospital East West Health Services.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. Always seek advice from your physicians or other qualified health provider.