Pàng Dà Hǎi is also known as Sterculia Seed. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Pàng Dà Hǎi is considered cool and sweet. It’s associated with the lung and large intestine channels, and has various health benefits.
First, it moisturizes the lungs and can be helpful when you suddenly have a hoarse voice accompanied by cough, thirst, or sore throat. This can occur when you strain your voice, like when you shout loudly.
Second, Pàng Dà Hǎi aids digestion by relieving symptoms like bloating, indigestion, and constipation. It has a mild laxative effect, which helps with bowel movements.
If you want to try Pàng Dà Hǎi, here’s what you can do:
- Soak 2-3 pieces of Pàng Dà Hǎi in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Once the seeds expand, you can add honey for flavor, if you desire.
- You can also add 2 pieces of chrysanthemum to increase the cooling effect.
- Drink this mixture once daily for 2-3 days.
It’s important to be cautious when using this herb:
- Don’t use more than 5 pieces per serving.
- Only have one serving per day.
- Avoid drinking for more than 7 consecutive days.
Furthermore, if you have certain health conditions, you should avoid using Pàng Dà Hǎi:
- Abdominal pain.
- Loose stool or diarrhea.
- Feeling sick, experiencing chills, physical weakness, or fatigue.
- Chronic respiratory diseases.
- Low blood pressure.
This is a general guideline. Please see a TCM Practitioner to find a treatment plan tailored to your health.
Article provided by Lykos Yang, L.Ac., Licensed Acupuncturist at Chinese Hospital East West Health Services.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. Always seek advice from your physicians or other qualified health provider.